2Bits: Selling Wholesale: Distribution–Why look at the big picture?!
“Frustration begins where knowledge ends.”
Staying current on industry trends helps you keep your distribution plan relevant. A relevant distribution plan improves your farm’s competitiveness, profitability, and sustainability.
Increase your knowledge about these retail food industry trends as you plan your 2018 wholesale marketing strategy.
From farm to plate, the retail food space is experiencing a lot of change. These are a few of the hot topics savvy farmers and food buyers should be aware of.
- Global food giants are snatching up locally and regionally branded foods, as well as adopting more nimble marketing methods.
- Supermarkets are increasing the use of their private store labels to better meet shoppers’ needs for consistent quality at lower prices.
- Farm-to-Table restaurants that are loyal to sourcing locally-raised foods are facing increasing costs due to rising minimum wages. Competition from ghost restaurants, which are restaurants with no physical location and lower overhead, is also increasing.
- Access to capital for farmers in rural areas to fund production capacity growth is decreasing because of a dwindling number of small town local banks.
- Government’s actions regarding these key regulations will impact farmers accessibility to markets:
- Livestock hauling hours of service and electronic logging devices
- Net Neutrality
- Farmer Fair Practices Rule (GIPSA)
Staying current on industry trends helps you keep your distribution plan relevant.
A relevant distribution plan improves your farm’s competitiveness, profitability, and sustainability.
Over the next 5 weeks, we’ll dive into each of these industry trends.
We want to help you better understand your prospective wholesale customers and the landscape you’ll be operating in if wholesale markets are markets you want to pursue. Stay tuned!
Have a specific wholesale market question?
Send us your questions at info@2BuyAg.com. We’re happy to incorporate your question into an upcoming 2Bits newsletter.
Marketing to wholesale buyers is one selling option farmers have. We’d like to invite you to market your farm produce and products on 2BuyAg in 2018. Our mission is to connect farmers and food buyers like you! Give us a try by creating an account, profile and product post.